Eggs: The Final Chapter

Well, that omelette almost kicked my ass, but I did prevail. Third time the charm as they say. But I must say I did not enjoy the process. It was finicky, fussy, and too precious. And frankly, it was not my favorite thing ever. It was pale and tasted bland. I definitely needed to season it more, but I was so focused on the technique, it slipped my mind. Well, I passed the omelette section of cooking school, but I will leave the omelette making to other people, like my good friend Terry who makes an amazing omelette. Me -- I'm moving on.


Let me tell you about my new "egg love".... Steamed eggs. Steamed eggs are cooked in their own little individual bowls. They are so neat and compact and lovely in their little nests, and you can flavor them with meat, cheese, veggies, or herbs. And did I mention they do not demand your constant attention as does the needy, co-dependent omelette?

Here's how it works: get yourself some ramekins and some eggs and a steamer basket. Now, think about what kind of things you like to eat with eggs...ham, cheese, spinach, bacon, roasted red peppers...almost anything. Grease the ramekins and toss in your goodies. Next crack your egg into the ramekin, the cover with foil. You are going put them in a steamer basket for 10-15 minutes depending how done you want the yolk and how many other ingredients you have in there.

That's it in an eggshell and here's the recipe if you want to give it a try.  And just look - isn't this a thing of beauty?

Steamed Eggs with Roasted Red Peppers and Feta


Comments

Popular Posts