Brunoise, Batonne, and Julienne

I spent over 3 hours chopping carrots on Saturday. Yes. Three. Hours. Chopping. Carrots. "Were you making a stew?" You might ask, "or an unusually large salad?"  No and no. In fact, I had no recipe at all. My task was to chop carrots 7 different ways to practice my knife skills:
Cubes at 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4".  
Strips at 1/16, 1/8, 1/4" x 2 1/2", which, by the way, are called fine Julienne, Julienne,
and Batonne. 

Now, we are graded on the precision here and had to submit photos to prove ourselves. As an added bonus, we also had to describe 3 ways to use the left over trimmings. What do you think about carrot-ginger soup, carrot hummus, or an apple-carrot slaw with wasabi mayinaise and pistachios?

As for these little beauties, the larger bits will end up in beef stew, the smaller ones in a salad. Take a good long look - I will never cut carrots this precicely again!


Comments

Popular Posts