Grapefruit-Avocado Salad

Here's my final project for the salad portion of the course. And I am including the write up from class because it's already written and I have already moved on to cooking vegetables. :-)

The grapefruit and avocado were wonderful together, providing tartness and a smooth creaminess to the salad. They paired well with the red leaf lettuce and the endive, the endive providing a crunchy green component. I tossed the greens with a couple spoons of dressing, and it provided a subtle grapefruit-balmasic flavor. I had planned to have grapefruit sections and slices of avocado, but the avocado was brwn in lots of palces wen I cut it open, so I had to chop into small pieces. And to top it off, I added chopped almonds just before serving. I thought it would be fun to make little endive boats with chopped avocado and grapefruit bits – something you could eat by hand. 

Recipe follows....




Grapefriut Vineaigerette 
1/4 cup grapefruit balsamic
Zest of one grapefruit
1/4 cup fresh grapefruit juice
1/2 cup olive oil
salt
pepper

Combine all ingredients and blend or shake in a jar.


Avocado Grapefruit Salad
2 grapefruits
1 avocado
Mild lettuce such as red leaf or butter lettuce
Belgian Endive
Marcona almonds

Section grapefruit, saving the juice.

Rinse and dry the red lettuce and the endive, Tear lettuce into bite-sized pieces and separate the endive leaves. 

Put a large handful of lettuce on each plate. Add 2 teaspoons of vinaigrette and toss. Place two endive leaves on each plate.

Place 2 pieces of grapefruit and 2 slices of avocado on each plate (my avocado was brown, so I had to chop it into small pieces!)

Chop grapefruit and avocado pieces to place in the endive. Drizzle a little more dressing over the endive.

Comments

Popular Posts