I'm Cumin Around to the Flavor

I've never really liked cumin. It always tasted like a big old dirt bomb to me. A little cumin goes along way for my palette. However...making my own food I can control the amount of cumin and I find if I cut it in half, it does not overwhelm and instead of tasting like a big old bag of dirt, it provides a subtle earthy flavor and it goes amazingly well with beets, carrots, and butternut squash. 

Check out this simple recipe for Roasted Carrots with Cumin and Walnut Oil



I also enjoy buying whole spices and toasting them myself. This little pan - made to fry one egg - is the perfect size for toasting spices. 
To toast the seeds, heat a small frying pan over low heat. Add seeds and cook until fragrant. When they are done, remove from pan and set aside. I love this little mini-pan for toasting seeds - it's about 5" diameter...(also perfect for frying a single egg)


Set up a steamer. Fill with one inch of water and place over medium-high heat.  
Wash and peel the carrots. Cut the carrots into batonnet (approximately 1/4" -inch x 1/4" -inch x 2" -inches). Save any large scraps for making stock. 
Place the carrots into a steamer basket and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Place over the simmering water. Cover with a lid and let steam, about 5 minutes or until just cooked through.

While the carrots are steaming, gather the lemon and oil. Roughly chop the parsley. 
Once the carrots have finished cooking, transfer them to a large bowl. Squeeze the lemon juice over top and drizzle with the oil. Gently toss to coat. Add the cumin seeds and sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper to taste. Add the parsley and toss again. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve. Enjoy!


Comments

Popular Posts